How Legal Presentations Can Make or Break Your Case
Aug 7 2017 | posted by LORR Team
Think of legal presentations as the sizzle that sells the steak. You can spend countless hours building a brilliant, intellectual argument for your position and still lose if the other side captures the court's emotions. Like it or not, people are driven by feelings more than facts. So, take a tip from your colleagues in the sales and marketing industries, and give some thought to how you can add a human face to the mountain of data you already have on your side. Here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Human beings just can't resist a good story. It's encoded in their DNA. Think of ways you can present your material in a storytelling format (while staying true to court protocol, of course). You'll be amazed at how effective this approach can be.
- Remember the 10-20-30 rule for legal presentations. It says that whenever possible, you should never show more than 10 slides, take longer than 20 minutes, or use a font size smaller than 30-point. Never forget that people have short attention spans. Keep it simple and stick with your main point.
- Sound confident. Whether you're addressing legal professionals or laypeople, an authoritative tone can make all the difference in how your recipients receive your message.
- Show and tell. Graphics can communicate more in a few seconds than words can say in a million years. There are plenty of graphic design programs that can help you create pie charts and other illustrations.
- Consider using the services of a litigation support service like LORR. We can help you design professional, persuasive legal presentations that will maximize your chances of getting the outcomes you're looking for. Call or email us today to arrange an initial consultation. We're here to help legal firms like yours succeed.